REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC
OF THE PHILIPPINES
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 36
CREATING THE CIVILIAN PROTECTION SERVICE, DEFINING ITS POWERS AND PROVIDING FOR THE COORDINATION AND CONTROL OF ALL ACTIVITIES AND FUNCTIONS FOR THE PROTECTION OF THE CIVILIAN POPULATION DURING AIR RAIDS.
Whereas, it is necessary that adequate precautionary measures be taken immediately with a view to preparing the civilian population for, and protecting them from, possible air raids; and
Whereas, it is essential to the successful accomplishment of the tasks above mentioned that all activities and functions for the protection of the civilian population against the perils of aircraft action be controlled and coordinated;
Now, therefore, I Jose P. Laurel, President of the Republic of the Philippines, by virtue of the powers vested in me by law, do hereby create and constitute a Civilian Protection Service which shall function through and be administered by a body composed of the Civilian Protection Administrator, the Chief of Medical and First Aid Service, and the Chief Air Raid Warden, all of whom shall be appointed by the President.
1. The Civilian Protection Service shall, subject to the approval of the President, formulate and execute plans and policies for the protection of the civilian population of the Philippines on the occasion of air raids and other extraordinary conditions resulting therefrom. It shall have a chapter or agency in each province, chartered city and municipality to be known respectively as Provincial Protection Committee, City Protection Committee and Municipal Protection Committee and through these Committees shall exercise general supervision and control over all activities and functions related to the protection of the civilian population on the occasion of air raids.
2. The Provincial Protection Committee shall be composed of the Provincial Governor as Chairman, and the Provincial Treasurer, the Provincial Fiscal, the Provincial Engineer, the Division Superintendent of Schools, the Provincial Health Officer, and the Senior Inspector of the Constabulary, as Members. This Committee shall have general supervision and control of the Municipal Protection Committees.
3. The Municipal Protection Committee shall be composed of the Municipal Mayor, as Chairman, and the Municipal Treasurer, the Chief of Police, the Supervising or Principal Teacher, and the Sanitary Officer, as Members. This Committee shall organize local units for air raid protection purposes in accordance with and subject to the rules and regulations prescribed by the Civilian Protection Service.
4. The City Protection Committee shall be composed of the City Mayor, as Chairman, and the City Treasurer, the City Fiscal, the City Engineer, the Metropolitan Constabulary Commander or City Chief of Police, the City Health Officer, the City Superintendent of Schools, the Fire Brigade Commander or Officer, as Members. This Committee shall organize local units for air raid protection purposes as prescribed for municipalities under paragraph (3) hereof.
5. For the purpose of carrying out the objectives of this Order, the cooperation of all Ministries, bureaus, offices, agencies and instrumentalities of the Government, including district and neighborhood asociations, is hereby ; enjoined and the wholehearted support of all I inhabitants of the Philippines earnestly requested.
Done in the City of Manila, this 9th day of February, in the year of Our Lord, nineteen hundred and forty-four, and of the Republic of the Philippines, the first.
(Sgd.) JOSE P. LAUREL
President of the Republic
of the Philippines
By the President:
(Sgd.) PEDRO SABIDO