REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 17
DESCRIPTION AND SPECIFICATIONS OF THE FLAG OF THE REPUBLIC
OF THE PHILIPPINES
WHEREAS, Section 1 of Article IX of the Constitution provides that “the Flag of the Republic of the Philippines shall be red, white and blue, with a sun and three stars, as consecrated and honored by the Filipino people”;
WHEREAS, Act Numbered Two thousand nine hundred and twenty-eight of the former Philippine Legislature describes the construction of the Flag but does not prescribe the necessary specifications of its different elements; and
WHEREAS, for the purpose of securing uniformity in making the Flag, it is necessary to adopt definite rules on the matter, in line with the provisions of the Constitution and Act Numbered Two thousand nine hundred and twenty-eight;
NOW, THEREFORE, by virtue of the powers conferred upon me by law, I, JOSE P. LAUREL, President of the Republic of the Philippines do hereby promulgate and order that the following specifications for the Flag of the Republic of the Philippines be strictly observed:
1. The length of the Flag is twice the altitude of the equilateral triangle.
2. Any side of the equilateral triangle is as long as the width of the Flag.
3. (See accompanying illustration.) Solid golden sunburst without any markings – Sun with eight rays, equally spaced; Arc x with Sun ray = Free Arc y; two opposite rays in horizontal axis and two in vertical axis; Sun’s diameter D = W/5; Each ray has one major beam, twice as broad as the minor beam on either side; length of major beam R = 5/9 D; Length of minor beam r = 4/5 R.
4. Three five-pointed golden stars of equal size, each star with one point directed to the vertex of the angle enclosing it; diameter of circumscribed circle of each star = 5/9 D; diameter of inscribed circle of each star = 2/9 D; distance from each corner = D/2.
5. Canvas-trimmed edge to the left of the triangle is approximately D/5 wide = not counted in measuring length of Flag.
6. Flags made of silk will be trimmed on three edges with a knotted fringe of yellow silk D/5 wide.
Done at the City of Manila, this 13th day of December, in the year of Our Lord, nineteen hundred and forty-three, and of the Republic of the Philippines, the first.
(SGD.) JOSE P. LAUREL
President of the Republic of the Philippines
By the President:
(SGD.) JOSE GIL
Acting Executive Secretary
Reference: The Flag of the Republic of the Philippines showing the different elements in their proper relative proportions