Instruction No. 12-I
PAYMENT OF ALL EXPENDITURES FOR THE RECONSTRUCTION OF DAMAGED ROADS AND BRIDGES
May 1, 1942
To Mr. QUINTIN PAREDES
Commissioner of Department of Public
Works and Communications
Philippine Executive Commission
(Through Chairman Jorge B. Vargas)
This is to inform you that your Department shall arrange for the payment of all expenditures accounted for by the Imperial Japanese Army, for the reconstruction work of damaged roads and bridges, in accordance with the following instructions:
1. All the expenses for the reconstruction work of the damaged bridges which this Administration instructed you the other day to accomplish in order to restore peace and order as well as the industrial activities in the Philippines, shall be paid for by your Department even though some portion of such work is accomplished and/or carried out by the Japanese Forces as mentioned in the subsequent instructions.
2. Your Department is liable to pay only for the expenditures incurred by the Japanese Forces in the reconstruction work hereafter, but not in the past, in due accordance with Instruction 1, above.
3. Your department is liable to pay only for the expenditures for logs, timber, lumber, etc., which are necessary for the reconstruction work required in Instruction 1, shall be paid for by your Department. Such materials are to be used both by your Department and by the Japanese Forces.
4. These materials, if supplied by the various supplying quarters of the Imperial Japanese Forces, are free of charge.
5. All expenditures incurred by the Japanese Forces and which are to be paid by your Department, shall be disbursed out of the Fund deposited for your account with the Intendance Corps (Keiri-bu) of the Imperial Japanese Army.
6. As to the details in regard to the expenditures, your Department will be advised by the Intendance Corps (Keiri-bu) of the Imperial Japanese Army in due course.
DIRECTOR-GENERAL OF THE JAPANESE
Source: Office of the Solicitor General Library