OFFICE OF THE CHAIRMAN OF THE
BY THE CHAIRMAN OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMISSION
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 93
HOLDING OF LOTTERIES OR HORSERACE
Pursuant to the authority conferred upon me as Head of the Central Administrative Organization by Order No. 1 in connection with Order No. 3 of the Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Forces in the Philippines, and upon the recommendation of the Executive Commission, the following regulations governing the holding of lotteries or horserace sweepstakes and the disposition of the proceeds of the same are hereby prescribed:
1. The Commissioner of Finance shall determine a sales quota or the number of tickets to be sold, the number and amounts of prizes to be given, and the dates of the opening and closing of the sale of tickets for each lottery or horserace sweepstake; and shall issue necessary regulations regarding the printing of tickets, holding of draws or horseraces, payment of prizes, and such other matters as may be necessary for the proper holding of lotteries and horserace sweepstakes.
2. Not less than fifty-five per centum of the proceeds of the sale of tickets in each lottery or horserace sweepstake shall be distributed as prizes. The balance, after deducting the corresponding administration expenses of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes, shall be set aside as a special fund and allotted by the Chairman of the Executive Commission upon recommendation of the Commissioner of Education, Health, and Public Welfare for charitable, health and civic purposes.
3. Only sold tickets shall participate in any draw.
4. Upon the recommendation of the Director of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes, the Commissioner of Finance may suspend or postpone the sale of tickets and holding of the draw or horserace when the interests of the public so require.
5. The penalty of imprisonment for not less than one month nor more than two years, or a fine of not less than one hundred pesos nor more than five thousand pesos, or both, shall be imposed upon:
(a) Any person who is found possessing, or dealing in, false or fraudulently altered tickets, knowing the tickets he possesses or deals in to be false or fraudulently altered;
(b) Any person who, for the purpose of causing damage, mutilates any ticket issued in accordance with this Order;
(c) Any person who sells tickets issued by the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes at a price more than that stated on the tickets; or
(d) Any person who sells lottery or sweepstake tickets and fractions or coupons thereof not issued by the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes, representing or tending to represent an interest in tickets issued by the said office.
Done in the City of Manila, Philippines, this 18th day of September, 1942.
(Sgd.) JORGE B. VARGAS
Chairman of the Executive Commission
Approved by the Director General of the Japanese Military Administration on September 18, 1942.
Source: Office of the Solicitor General Library