OFFICE OF THE CHAIRMAN OF THE
BY THE CHAIRMAN OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMISSION
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 47
REQUIRING THE REGISTRATION OF ALL RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS OR ORDERS AND OF THEIR MEMBERS AND PROPERTIES.
Pursuant to the authority conferred upon me as Head of the Central Administrative Organization by Order No. 1 of the Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Forces in the Philippines, and upon the recommendation of the Executive Commission, it is hereby ordered that for the purpose of obtaining a complete record of all the existing religious organizations or orders in the Philippines, their membership and properties, such religious organizations or orders, their members and properties shall be registered in accordance with the following-rules and regulations:
1. The registration of religious organizations or orders shall be effected by filing with the Bureau of Religious Affairs a declaration under oath executed by the head of the organization or order or by his duly authorized representative, on forms furnished by the Bureau of Religious Affairs which shall contain the following:
(a) The name of the official of the organization or order making the application as well as his official designation;
(b) The name of the religious organization or order and the location of its main office;
(c) The date on which the religious organization or order was established and the length of time it has been operating;
(d) The head and principal officers of the organization or order as well as their respective addresses;
(e) The number of the members of the religious organization or order;
(f) The activity or activities in which the organization or order is engaged in addition to its religious work;
(g) Its average total yearly gross and net incomes;
(h) The total value of its real and personal properties;
(i) The total amount of its outstanding indebtedness and the names and addresses of its creditors, if any; and
(j) A brief history of the organization or order, including its constitution or internal regulations and its fundamental principles or doctrines.
By religious organization or order is meant any church, religion, religious denomination, sect, order society, institution, or any other religious association.
2. The registration of members of religious organizations or orders shall be effected by filing with the Bureau of Religious Affairs a declaration under oath executed by the registrant on forms furnished by the Director of Religious Affairs which shall contain the following:
(a) The name, nationality and date and place of birth of the registrant;
(b) The name and address in the Philippines of the organization or order of which he or she is a member;
(c) The name of the head of his or her organization or order and the latter’s official residence and nationality;
(d) When and where the registrant joined the organization or order;
(e) His or her classification and civil status;
(f) Present address in the Philippines;
(g) If an alien, his or her date of arrival in the Philippines;
(h) Trips made abroad, if any, including date, destination and duration thereof;
(i) Present position or office held in the organization or order;
(j) Positions or offices previously held in the organization or order; and
(k) Duties and activities of the member.
By members of a religious organization or order is meant all heads, dignitaries, bishops, priests, ministers, deacons and the community comprising such religious organization or order, excluding lay followers.
3. The registration of properties in the Philippines belonging to religious organizations or orders shall be effected by filing with the Bureau of Religious Affairs a declaration under oath on forms furnished by the Director of Religious Affairs which shall contain the following:
(a) The title, location, area (if landed estates) or number (if plants, trees, or machinery, etc.) of all real properties and whether held in full ownership or in trust; and if held in trust, the nature of the trust and names and addresses of the owner; the manner of acquisition; whether for religious worship or for agricultural, industrial, charitable, educational or scientific purposes; their present value; and the annual gross and net incomes derived therefrom; and
(b) The kind, number, location, use, annual gross and net incomes, and value of personal properties; whether they are held in full ownership or in trust, and the nature of the trust and the names and addresses of the owners if they are held in trust; and the manner of acquisition.
The form shall be executed by the head or chief priest bishop, presiding elder, or any official duly authorized for the purpose, of the religious organization or order concerned, or by their legally constituted agents or representatives who have sufficient knowledge of the affairs and properties of said religious organization or order to enable them to make the declaration herein required.
The properties herein required to be registered comprehend both real and personal properties, including funds, stocks, bonds, securities, and jewelry, whether held in fee simple or in trust with the exception of images, objects, furniture and other movable properties which are used exclusively for the performance of religious rites and ceremonies.
4. The registration of existing religious organizations or orders and of their members and properties as herein required must be made not later than June 30, 1942, unless in the case of the registration of the members of such religious organization or order the registration is prevented by reason of internment or confinement in prison, hospital or other institutions, in which case the registration shall be made within thirty days from the date of release from such internment or confinement. Religious organizations or orders established, members joining a religious organization or order, and properties acquired by a religious organization or order, subsequent to the original period of registration herein prescribed must be registered within thirty days from the date of their establishment, membership, or acquisition, as the case may be.
5. The Director of Religious Affairs is hereby authorized to collect a fee of ₱5.00 for the registration of each religious organization or order and ₱2.00 for every registration of properties.
6. Refusal or failure without justifiable cause to make the registration herein required shall be penalized by imprisonment of not more than one year or a fine of not more than one thousand pesos, or by both. If such refusal or failure refers to the registration of any religious organization or order or of its properties, the head, presiding elder, or other directing officer thereof shall be responsible therefor, and, furthermore, the Central Administrative Organization may, through its proper authorities, refuse to recognize the status of the defaulting church or religious organization or order as such and may accordingly withdraw the privileges which such church or religious organization or order, or members thereof, may otherwise be entitled to enjoy.
The making of any false declaration or statement in connection with the registration herein required shall be dealt with according to the penal law.
Done in the City of Greater Manila, Philippines, this 1st day of June, 1942.
(Sgd.) JORGE B. VARGAS
Chairman of the Executive Commission
APPROVED by the Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Forces in the Philippines on June 1, 1942.
Source: Office of the Solicitor General Library