Instruction No. 12-I
INSTRUCTION CONCERNING THE RECONSTRUCTION
OF ROADS AND BRIDGES
To Mr. QUINTIN PAREDES,
Commissioner of the Department of Public Works
The Philippine Executive Commission
Through Chairman JORGE B. VARGAS
This is to request your department, Department of Public Works and Communications, to reconstruct the damaged bridges as promptly as possible according to the following principle:
1. The reconstruction work of the damaged bridges as shown in the separate plan is to be carried out by your department under the guidance of the Japanese Army.
2. Said reconstruction work must be durable and strong enough to stand through the rainy season.
3. Those damaged bridges on the trunk lines of the roads shall be reconstructed before the rainy season comes this year.
4. As those damaged steel bridges may be the causes of floods, it is requested to take them out before the rainy season, including other damaged bridges than those pointed out in the plan.
5. Among already constructed bridges, those which are directed separately shall be given utmost care for preventing damages from floods.
6. To carry on the above function smoothly, your department is requested to call necessary personnels as well as to prepare necessary tools, machineries, equipment, etc.
7. Your department shall keep close and constant touch with the Japanese Army in order to decide the ways and means of the work and to obtain necessary equipment and materials quickly.
8. As to the expenditures to be spent in completing the reconstruction work, your department I will be instructed separately.
9. Further details will be given to you later.
DIRECTOR-GENERAL OF THE JAPANESE
Source: Office of the Solicitor General Library