Instruction No. 16
INSTRUCTION CONCERNING THE INSPECTION
OF BOOKS AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS
April 18, 1912
CLARO M. RECTO
Commissioner, Department of Education,
Health and Public Welfare
You are hereby instructed to take necessary steps in order that a survey of all books and other publications which are kept in libraries and libraries of schools, colleges and universities, except those kept in the libraries which are now occupied or sealed by the Imperial Japanese Forces, shall be conducted in accordance with the principle herein-below mentioned, and that those which are found to be improper after the survey shall be sent over to the Office of the Japanese Military Administration.
All books and other publications already published whose content comes within the purview of the following, shall be confiscated after due inspection.
1. Those that are written for anti-Japanese propaganda purposes;
2. Those that propagate democracy and aim at alienating axis powers from one another;
3. Those that repudiate war;
4. Those that are in contradiction with the fundamental principles of the Philippine educational renovation;
5. Those that are improper in the enforcement of military administration.
DIRECTOR-GENERAL OF THE JAPANESE
Source: Office of the Solicitor General Library