This room is located in the North Wing of Malacañan Palace, which was constructed in 1937 to provide additional bedrooms for the First Family. It was first used by Mrs. Aurora A. Quezon. Then was later occupied by President and Mrs. Sergio Osmena, President and Mrs. Manuel Roxas, President Elpidio Quirino during his first term, and President and Mrs. Carlos P. Garcia. On January 16, 1962, President and Mrs. Diosdado Macapagal moved into this room, having spent the first few weeks of his administration commuting morning and afternoon between their private residence at 108 Laura, San Juan and the Executive Office in Malacañan Palace.
However, during the reconstruction of the Palace from 1978 to 1979, this room was enlarged and greatly changed, although the location of this room conforms roughly to the old bedroom.
In recognition of President Macapagal’s service to the nation, this room was named the Macapagal Room by virtue of Proclamation No. 478, signed on September 28, 2003.