This served as the Governor-General’s office from Leonard Wood to Frank Murphy. It was the Executive Secretary’s office from 1935 – 1936. By this time, American authority was long established at the Palace, starting with Military Governors Wesley Merrit (1898), Elwell S. Otis (1898 – 1900) and Arthur MacArthur (1900-1901). The era of American rule (1898 – 1935) is the focus of the old Governor – General’s Office gallery, and includes the subsequent civil governments that was inaugurated on July 4, 1901 under William Howard Taft (1901 – 1902). All the military and civil governors lived at the Palace; after Taft came Luke E. Wright (1904 – 1906). Henry Clay Ide (1906), James F. Smith (1906 – 1909), William Cameron Forbes (1909 – 1913), Francis Burton Harrison (1913 – 1921), Leonard Wood (1921 – 1928), Henry Stimson (1928 – 1929), Dwight F. Davis (1929 – 1932) Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. (1932 – 1933), and Frank Murphy (1933 – 1935). Harrison was responsible for the construction of the Executive Building, and Malacañan Palace from 1921 onward hosted the offices of the executive as well as the residences of the Governor-General.

[social_share/]