This room was constructed in 1937-39 as the Council of State Room. It was in this room that the newly-reconstituted Council of State during the administration of President Manuel L. Quezon met. A practice kept until the Macapagal Administration. It was also here that the National Economic Council, today’s NEDA, met. President Manuel L. Quezon preferred to have his cabinet meetings in this room, as did Presidents Elpidio Quirino, Carlos P. Garcia and Diosdado Macapagal. Presidents Roxas, Quirino, Magsaysay, Garcia, Macapagal, and Marcos also had important meetings in this room and it was here that officials generally took their oaths of office before the President of the Philippines until the Marcos administration. From the administration of President Manuel Roxas until Carlos P. Garcia, all treaties and conventions entered into by the Republic of the Philippine and foreign governments were also signed in this room.
Two presidents of the Philippines have taken their oath of office in this room. On April 17, 1948, after the sudden demise of President Manuel Roxas, Elpidio Quirino took his oath of office as President of the Philippines in this room. Carlos P. Garcia took his oath of office as President in this room on March 18, 1957, after the tragic death of President Ramon Magsaysay.
During the administration of President Ferdinand E. Marcos, cabinet meetings were transferred to the State Dining Room (now the Aguinaldo State Dining Room) in Malacañan Palace, and this room was turned into part of a television studio in 1981. It was restored in 2003 and named after President Elpidio Quirino by virtue of Proclamation No. 501 on November 16, 2003.