In 1936, President Manuel L. Quezon was the first to propose the purchase of the nearby San Miguel Brewery as additional office space. Later, President Ferdinand E. Marcos initiated plans to transform it into an integral part of the Palace. However, it was only under President Corazon C. Aquino that reconstruction and refurbishing of the New Executive Building took place.
Its architectural elements deliberately pay homage to the Palace of the Third Republic. It serves the very utilitarian purpose of providing much-needed administrative space. Nevertheless, its newness and lack of proximity to the Palace led Aquino’s successors to revert back to using the Palace for official business, starting with President Fidel V. Ramos. Currently, it houses the Office of the Presidential Spokesperson, the Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office, the Presidential Communications Operations Office, and the Malacañang Press Briefing Room.